Plainfield Garden Club








1957 Archives

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

Miss Harriette R. Halloway

http://andyswebtools.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pa.cgi?d=plainfield-garden-club&type=3680

Friday, May 17, 1957 Club Commemorates Founding of Iris Garden

Caption: GARDEN MARKER VIEWED – Standing before the marker commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park are (left to right) Mrs. Frederick Lockwood, Victor B. King, Jr., John C. Wister, Mr. Richard Tracy and Miss Harriette R. Halloway, founder of this garden. (Courier photo by E. T. Wiggins)

The Plainfield Garden Club and guests yersterday dedicated the the entranceway of the of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park.

Miss Harriette R. Halloway, found of the garden and chairman of the garden of the Iris Garden [not legible] the project was started in 1932, was presented a medal by Mrs. Frederick M. Lockwood, president of the Garden Club.

The medal is [not legible] "from the grateful members of the Plainfield Garden Club Harriette R. Halloway founder and director of the Iris gardens of Cedar Brook Park, Plainfield, 1932 - 1957."

[Not legible] viewed a recently installed [not legible] tablet marking the anniversary of the garden.

"Excercise in Perfection"
Victor R. King, president of the Union County Park Commission, led the gathering [not legible] the garden display was "an excercise in perfection is [not legible]," he said.

The park commission provides the setting for the garden and have [not legible] in the project [not legible]

W. [not legible] Tracy, executive had of the Park Commission when the Iris Garden was started paid tribute to Miss Halloway for her "tireless work and painstaking effort."

Another speaker was Dr. John C. Wister of Swarthmore, Pa., president of the American Iris Society when the garden was started and author of [not legible] article about the garden in the current issue of the Journal of the New York Botanical Gardens.

Miss Halloway spoke briefly and [not legible] on the work of the [not legible] who care for the Iris Garden. She introduced Kenneth Smith, one of the largest contributors of plants to the garden [not legible]

Mrs. Lockwood presided at the program. Guests included members of [not legible] garden clubs and contributors to the garden.

The Iris Garden Committee includes Mrs. Morris E. Benton, Mrs. Alden de Hart, Mrs. Lockwood, Mrs. Donald E. Luce, Mrs. William K. Dunbar, Jr., Mrs. C. Northrop Pond, Mrs. Webster Sandford, Mrs. Arthur D. Seybold, Mrs. John R. Wells, Mrs. Willian G. Wigton, Mrs. Robert MacLeod, vice chairman, and Miss Halloway, chairman.

Special slides [not legible] for the chairman were Mrs. Charles A. Eaton, Jr., Mrs. F. Willoughby Frost ad Mrs. Edwin M. Treat, Jr.

Mrs. Victor M. King was chairman of the special committee assisted by Mrs. J. Harold Loizeaux, Mrs. E. B. Newberry, and Miss Margaret Tyler. Also cooperating were Mrs. N. C. Barnhart, Jr., Mrs. William P. Elliott, Mrs. Homer Cochran and Mrs. H. I. Flanders.

Hostesses (not legible)
Other hostesses were Mrs. William W. Coriell, Mrs. Leslie E. Fort, Mrs. William A. Holliday, Mrs. Richard M. Lawton, Mrs. Robert T. Stevens, Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler, Mrs. William S. Tyler. Mrs. Thomas Van Boskerck and Mrs. Orville G. Waring.

The Iris Garden now has more than 1,800 named varieties properly labeled, representing all types of Iris and totaling more than 75,000 plants.

The main part of the garden is [not legible] caring Iris [not legible] and is expected to be is good blooms thorugh the rest of the month.

Plainfield Public Library Archives

HONORED AT ANNIVERSARY LUNCHEON – Miss Margaret McCutchen, third from left, first president of the Plainfield College Club, receives announcement of the college scholarship named in her honor from president, Mrs. Louis Reinken, fourth from the left. Listening to the announcement are: left to right, Mrs. Patrick J. White, Mrs. Charles W. Buckelew, another original club members, Miss McCutchen, Mrs. Reinken, Mrs. Redman Cornell and Mrs. Harold W. Scherer, luncheon chairman. Mrs. White and Mrs. Cornell are wearing costumes that were in fashion 50 years ago.

March 14 1957

College Club, 50 Years Old, To Give New Scholarship

The Plainfield College Club celebrated its golden anniversary yesterday with the announcement of the Margaret W. McCutchen scholarship, in honor of the club's first president, a guest at the anniversary luncheon a the Plainfield Country Club.

The Margaret McCutchen scholarship, made possible by the growth of an endowment fund began in 1928, will be awarded to a senior high school girl in May.

College club president, Mrs. Louis W. Reinken, introduced Miss McCutchen, Mrs. Charles W. Buckelew, another funding leader and Mrs. Roy F. Macintyre, the club's only life member. Messages from other founding members wre read, including congratulations from Miss Harriet Goddard, first vice president, Miss Elsie Goddard and Mrs. William M. Stillman.

Past Presidents Introduced

Golden anniversary chairman and past president, Mrs. Harold W. Scherer, introduced past presidents of the college club who attended the luncheon: Mrs. Ellis Enander, Mrs. J. Harold Reppert, Mrs. Charles H. Hutchinson, Mrs. William Land, Mrs. Joseph Katrausky, Mrs. Frazier Graff, Mrs. Dwight Herrick and Mrs. James W. Smith.

Reminiscing through 50 years of history was done through a fashion parade by members, to the accompaniment of the college club Choral Group and the narration of Mrs. Robert Coates.

The choral group began a chorus of "School Days" and "Sweet Adeline" while Mrs. Coates said, "Looking across the gulf of two world wars, the America of 1906 seems young and far away . . . at this time a small group of enthusiastic and determined young women felt the need to encourage girls to enter college." This, she said, led to the founding of the Plainfield College Club with its first meetings "of a social nature, consisting of 'business,' a short play, skits or stunts, sometimes music, then tea."

Growth of Club Traced
This was the time too, when as


the parading models indicated members wore picture hats and dresses with leg of mutton sleeves.

Music, fashions and narrative traced the growth of the College Club through the First World War, when members did . . . work at home or overseas, . . . 20s, when it seemd for a . . .that interest in the club . . . But an end to war . . . a large membership drive . . .remedied the situation.

During the 20s, education . . grams gained in popularity in 1928, the College Club, had once shunned world . . .voted to endorse the reso . . urging Congress to endorse . . Kellogg Peace Treaty. In . . . the club affiliated with the . . . ican Association of Uni . . . Women, and during this . . . it grew rapidly and took . . . creasing part in state and . . . AAUW activities, including raising money for AAUW . . . lowship fund.

Throughout World War . . . club not only . . . scholarship aid and . . .lowship fund cont. . . raised money for . . . refugee children.

$500 Study Grant
In honor of its . . sary, the College Club . . . sented an annivesary . . .gift of $500 study . . . advanced scholar . . . Plainfield Branch . . . of "And we are proud, . . . Coates, "Of the five . . . now attending college . . . our aid." Since the . . . ship gift of $30 in . . . has loaned $3,850 and . . . right gifts of $25, 330 . . . girls needing collge.

She suggested that . . . duty in the future . . . "hold the doors wide

Plainfield Public Library Archives

Plainfield Public Library Archives

Plainfield Public Library Archives

Plainfield Public Library Archives

Plainfield Public Library Archive

New York Times, Saturday, October 15, 1966

Harriette Rice Halloway: Jersey Horticulturalist, 91

PLAINFIELD, N. J., Oct. 14 – Harriette Rice Halloway a nationally known horticulturalist died today in Muhlenberg Hospital. Her age was 91 and her home was at 112 Linden Avenue, North Plainfield.

Miss Halloway designed the iris garden in Cedarbrook Park in 1932, was consultant to the Union County Park Commission and helped to set up the cornus (dogwood) collection in Cedarbrook Park in 1946.

She received many honors for her work, among them a distinguished service medal from the Garden Club of America in 1958, and had been active as a horticultural judge. She was a member of the Royal Horticultural Society. In 1957 a iris was named for her.

Miss Halloway was born in Newark and attended Columbia University. She taught geography at the Wardlaw School, a country day school for boys, from 1916 to 1949.

1957 Check Book

No. 1242
January 8, 1957
Walter M. Ritchie
greens for wreath project
$10.00

1957 Check Book

1954 - 1970 296 Images from Plainfield Library Scrapbook

1957 Iris Garden

1957 Iris Garden

1957

History of the Iris Garden in Cedar Brook Park

Cornus Arboretum

From the 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

Our beautiful dogwood trees stand on what was once the city dump. The story of this evolution of beauty began in 1929 when Mrs. Charles Eaton presented 50 dogwood trees to Cedar Brook Park from her own woods. In 1931, with Mrs. Henry Wells as Chairman, 45 dogwood trees, white and pink, were donated by the Plainfield Garden Club and were planted on one side of the drive entering from Park Avenue. Nine years later, (1940), under the guidance of Mrs. Thomas R. Van Boskerck and Mrs. William Holliday, 110 trees were added to extend the first row and to form another on the opposite side of the road. Since this planting coincided with our own 25th anniversary, a large boulder bearing a bronze marker was placed near the entrance.

In 1946, the Park Commission, a group of progressive and dedicated gentlemen, asked our Club if we would sponsor a Cornus Arboretum, using the Dogwood Drive as a foundation. We accepted – indeed, yes! A committee was formed with Miss Harriette R. Halloway as Secretary and Advisor, whose goal it was to include every Cornus, Specie and Cultivar, which was obtainable and which would thrive in this climate. Through the years, chairmen have included Mrs. R. T. Stevens, Mrs. George His, and Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler. As in our other gardens, the Park Commission has planted, raised seedlings in their nursery and provided maintenance.

Through purchases, gifts and exchanges with other Arboretums, 26 varieties were planted in the next five years. By 1948, there were 219 trees, giving masses of beautiful spring bloom as well as fall display of foliage and berries. Thousands of visitors walked or drove through this fairyland of beauty, surely the better for having seen it.

Today, through the inspired leadership of Miss Halloway, the Cornus Collection contains more than sixty varieties, some quite rare. All the others being horticultural selections of "clones" (cultivars). Experts consider the Cornus Collection to be the outstanding horticultural and civic achievement of our Club. It was highly gratifying in 1957, when officials from the New York Botanical Garden came out to see it.

Prof. Benjamin Blackburn, in a recent article in the American Horticulture Magazine says, 'It does not appear that a comparable collection exists. The Cornus Collection offers an admirable example of cooperation between groups interested in the cultural and horticultural riches of a municipality . . . none other is known to the writer to be existing elsewhere in the country."

To quote Miss Halloway, "each year the trees continue to be beautiful and a joy, if not forever, at least for many years."

Written by Victoria Furman