Plainfield Garden Club








1929 Archives

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

This was obtained from the publication The History of the Plainfield Garden Club 1915 - 1965 by Victoria Furman

Twenty-fifth Anniversary of the Plainfield Garden Club by Lucy Von Boskerck

History of the club to 1970 by Mrs. Henry Noss

Treasurer's Book from Mrs. Morrell

Treasurer's Book from Mrs. Morrell

Treasurer's Book from Mrs. Morrell

Treasurer's Book from Mrs. Morrell

1929 Treasurer Book

The Williams Banquet on Woodland Avenue

Plainfield Library Photo File

C-20625 1929 Collier
The Williams Banquet
Diners sit at an ornately decorated table with a cruise ship center piece. The photographer titled the shot "Williams Banquet at Woodland Ave." There are six couples photographed in this picture dated September 1929.

Plainfield Public Library Archives

note: in pencil someone was writing notes as to how this Edward Harding could be related to Alice Harding '15. Need to go back to archives to see if the relationship can be discovered.

Edward Harding
Is Promoted In National Firm

Announcement is made of the appointment of Edward J. Harding, formerly of Plainfield, as assistant general manager of the Associated General Contractors of America. The appointment comes after 11 years of work through all different ramifications of the associaton. Mr. Harding being one of the original members of the association at its formation in 1918, having served as membership manager form its inception.

Mr. Harding was born in Plainfield and was educated here. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Harding, Sr., of 16 Laramie road, is maried and has two children, a boy and a girl. He is a member of Plainfield Lodge of Elks. His present home is in Chevy Chase, near Washington, D. C.

Mr. Harding has had the opportunity to studying construction problems in every State in the Union and has been in close touch with the construction program developed by the Federal Government.

Previous to his present business affiliations, Mr. Harding was associated with McAdoo Tunnels in New York for 15 years and during the World War acted in the capacity of manager for James Stewart and Company, one of the largest contracting firms in the United States.

The Associated General Contractors of America is the largest organization of its kind in the United States, having now one hundred seventeen offices throughout the United States and being represented in six hundred seventy-five cities and forty-eight states. The membership of this association did somewhat better than three billion dollars worth of work last year.

The Courier-News Friday, November 22, 1929

Plainfield Public Library Archives

Cornus Arboretum

From the 1965 History of the Plainfield Garden Club

Our beautiful dogwood trees stand on what was once the city dump. The story of this evolution of beauty began in 1929 when Mrs. Charles Eaton presented 50 dogwood trees to Cedar Brook Park from her own woods. In 1931, with Mrs. Henry Wells as Chairman, 45 dogwood trees, white and pink, were donated by the Plainfield Garden Club and were planted on one side of the drive entering from Park Avenue. Nine years later, (1940), under the guidance of Mrs. Thomas R. Van Boskerck and Mrs. William Holliday, 110 trees were added to extend the first row and to form another on the opposite side of the road. Since this planting coincided with our own 25th anniversary, a large boulder bearing a bronze marker was placed near the entrance.

In 1946, the Park Commission, a group of progressive and dedicated gentlemen, asked our Club if we would sponsor a Cornus Arboretum, using the Dogwood Drive as a foundation. We accepted – indeed, yes! A committee was formed with Miss Harriette R. Halloway as Secretary and Advisor, whose goal it was to include every Cornus, Specie and Cultivar, which was obtainable and which would thrive in this climate. Through the years, chairmen have included Mrs. R. T. Stevens, Mrs. George His, and Mrs. C. Boardman Tyler. As in our other gardens, the Park Commission has planted, raised seedlings in their nursery and provided maintenance.

Through purchases, gifts and exchanges with other Arboretums, 26 varieties were planted in the next five years. By 1948, there were 219 trees, giving masses of beautiful spring bloom as well as fall display of foliage and berries. Thousands of visitors walked or drove through this fairyland of beauty, surely the better for having seen it.

Today, through the inspired leadership of Miss Halloway, the Cornus Collection contains more than sixty varieties, some quite rare. All the others being horticultural selections of "clones" (cultivars). Experts consider the Cornus Collection to be the outstanding horticultural and civic achievement of our Club. It was highly gratifying in 1957, when officials from the New York Botanical Garden came out to see it.

Prof. Benjamin Blackburn, in a recent article in the American Horticulture Magazine says, 'It does not appear that a comparable collection exists. The Cornus Collection offers an admirable example of cooperation between groups interested in the cultural and horticultural riches of a municipality . . . none other is known to the writer to be existing elsewhere in the country."

To quote Miss Halloway, "each year the trees continue to be beautiful and a joy, if not forever, at least for many years."

Written by Victoria Furman